This week, Trevor Mackenzie came into our class and talked about Inquiry. This was interesting to me since towards the end of high school, I started to get tasked with more and more inquiry projects. I love inquiry since it focuses on the students’ interests and builds their intrinsic motivation to learn. I appreciated Trevor’s lecture since he explained all the different types of inquiry, as well as allowing us to reflect on what we already know/would like to know in the future. I also appreciated how Trevor said we could use Bitmojis of all the students to gauge where they are at with the material since I love my Bitmoji (Pictured below).

I also love Trevor’s pool graphic and have been thinking about how he said don’t push students in the deep end since he has come to talk. Whenever I thought of inquiry, I assumed that it was student-led and relied very little on the teacher. However, through Trevor’s talk, I learned that inquiry can still exist if it is guided by the teacher. In the past, I only knew about Free Inquiry. However, I have now learned that there are three other types: structured inquiry, controlled inquiry, and guided inquiry. I will be sure to include these in my future classroom since I know what it is like to drown in the deep end.

have a good week