When I was in elementary school, I never used coding so this is completely new to me. In high school, I remember a couple of my friends got pulled out of class to do a coding workshop where they played a game using Barbie; I always thought that was cool.

I think coding is a great thing to teach in schools. As the world becomes more technological, the more code is being used. If coding is being taught in elementary school, there are more chances that students will be interested in learning more about code and considering it as a future profession. Especially, if coding is taught to girls, we might have more women in STEM.

While exploring code during class time, I joined the Scratch JR. group. I was able to download the app on my iPad and create a little scene with different characters. It was very confusing at first. I did not understand what was going on and just kept on making random patterns for the character to follow. However, as I started exploring the app, I found examples that were much more sophisticated than mine. I looked at how they coded the journey of the character and figured out what some of the buttons meant.

The Cat’s Journey.
The Moon’s Journey.
The Snake’s Journey.
The final movie.